One of my mother-in-laws classic summer family desserts was jell-o poke cake. She usually made two flavors for our family summer gathering. My favorite was always the Lemon-Lime version. So of course, I “insisted” that it be on the menu for RETREAT.
The cool thing about this dessert, is how easy it is! And because it is chilled, it is light and refreshing!
Lemon-lime Jell-o Poke Cake
– Lemon cake mix plus egg, oil and water
– Lime Jell-o (not sugar free) plus water
– Whipped topping
– Prepare lemon cake mix per instructions on box and bake in 9″ x 13″ cake pan. Allow to cool.
– Poke cake with fork every 1/2″.
– Prepare jell-o per instructions on box. Pour over cake & refrigerate for 3-4 hours
– Frost cake with whipped topping & you are ready to serve.
There are many other combinations for this cake – try a white cake with your favorite berry flavored jell-o!
Update NEWSFLASH: this suggestion came in via Facebook – white cake, strawberry Jell-O, topped with not only whipped topping, but FRESH strawberries!